Monday 3 August 2015

Daisy's Back

Well this blog has been silent for the last two years and I thought you’d like to know why and get an update on what Daisy Moon has been up to and what she is doing now. She’s still sewing, how could she stop? 

This year Daisy has taken the plunge and decided that it's time to become a textile artist and teacher full time.



Me? I’m not Daisy Moon, but I will be writing her blog from now on as she is too busy and although she’s great at putting fabrics together, she gets a nervous when it comes to writing. So let me introduce myself. My name is George and I have been Daisy’s constant companion for the last six years. I see myself as a Chris Hemsworth lookalike, see what you think.







 I know cute is the first thing that springs to mind.

Anyway back to Daisy. Her love of old fabric has just grown and grown over the last two years. It can be the most tattered and gossamer  thin piece and Daisy will see something in it that can be returned to the world as a beautiful piece of art. Just as a example we have this;



 







Believe it or not, this piece is only a couple of inches square and the fabric is hand turned and stitched onto paper. It was something that just cried out to her and she answered in the only way she could. Even the paper itself is older than me!


Daisy has been spending  time searching shops and the internet for more old fabric, however for the last two years she has been creating a series of works that are inspired by the First World War. 


Her father, who passed away a few years ago, collected Military badges and while this hasn’t made its way into her life she has been touched by the simple human stories that are told in letters written by soldiers in the trenches. Sometimes the simplest things can move you in ways that have to be made into art. 



  
  



A beautiful piece even if its in its raw state, however when you put it in a frame...





It becomes a must have.







I know I’m just a dog, albeit a very pretty one, but some things are just moving.

Daisy found a letter written 1st September 1918 by a young man who lost his life so close to the end of the war. The fabric is a simple Hussif, which is a soldiers sewing kit from the period, the words are someone’s who didn’t see the end of the conflict.




Both the letter and the Hussif were found on the internet from different sites and yet they were made for each other, all they needed was for someone to see that.

Excuse me. I just had to wipe a tear from my eye. I may be a dog but I’m not made of stone.




Even the stitching on the back is enchanting in its own way. Sometimes it’s good to see the back of the work, it just shows the care that has been taken. 


I think we’re all getting a little emotional, and being as this is my first attempt at writing a blog, I’ll stick to the old adage of leaving you wanting more. 

There is more, a lot more. We haven’t even touched of the sewing room, or room as it was called, or the dresses and shirts Daisy has been working on.

So it’s goodbye from me, George, and remember if you have a wet nose and a waggy tail life isn’t that bad.















4 comments:

  1. As Daisy knows I adore her First World War work - it makes me cry it's so beautifully done - and we share the same aesthetic - tattered, raggy, torn, worn the older the better! Look forward to the next post George well done! I think we need to have a joint exhibition! xdi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to do a joint exhibition with you Di but I have no idea how to set one up 😁 Thanks for your lovely message. Hugs Daisy xx

      Delete